How to Simulate Being in the Navy
1. Buy a dumpster, paint it gray inside and out, and live in it for six
1a. Submarines -- Black outside; Pea Green inside.
2. Run all the pipes and wires in your house exposed on the walls.
3. Repaint your entire house every month.
4. Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of the
bathtub and move the shower head to chest level. When you take showers, make sure you turn off the water while you soap down.
5. Put lube oil in your humidifier and set it on high.
6. Once a week, blow air up your chimney, with a leaf blower and let the
wind carry the soot onto your neighbor's house. Ignore his complaints.
7. Once a month, take all major appliances apart and assemble them.
8. Raise the thresholds and lower the headers of your front and back
doors so that you either trip or bang your head every time you pass
9. Disassemble and inspect your lawnmower every week.
10. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, turn your water heater
temperature up to 200 degrees. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, turn the
water heater off. On Saturdays and Sundays tell your family they use
too much water, so no bathing will be allowed.
11. Raise your bed to within 6 inches of the ceiling, so you can't turn
over without getting out and then getting back in.
12. Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a
curtain. Have your spouse whip open the curtain about 3 hours after you
go to sleep, shine a flashlight in your eyes, and say "Sorry, wrong
13. Make your family qualify to operate each appliance in your house -
dishwasher operator, blender technician, etc. Re-qualify every 6
14. Have your neighbor come over each day at 0500, blow a whistle so loud Helen Keller could hear it, and shout "Reveille, reveille, all hands heave out and trice up."
15. Have your mother-in-law write down everything she's going to do the
following day, then have her make you stand in your back yard at 0600
while she reads it to you.
16. Submit a request chit to your father-in-law requesting permission to
leave your house before 1500.
17. Empty all the garbage bins in your house and sweep the driveway
three times a day, whether it needs it or not. "Now sweepers, sweepers,
man your brooms, give the ship a clean sweep down fore an aft, empty all
shit cans and butt kits!"
18. Have your neighbor collect all your mail for a month, read your
magazines, and randomly lose every 5th item before delivering the rest.
19. Watch no TV except for movies played in the middle of the night.
Have your family vote on which movie to watch, then show a different
one--the same one every night.
20. When your children are in bed, run into their room with a megaphone
shouting "Now general quarters, general quarters! All hands man your
21. Make your family's menu a week ahead of time without consulting the
pantry or refrigerator.
22. Post a menu on the kitchen door informing your family that they are
having steak for dinner. Then make them wait in line for an hour. When
they finally get to the kitchen, tell them you are out of steak, but
they can have dried ham or hot dogs. Repeat daily until they ignore the
menu and just ask for hot dogs.
23. Bake a cake. Prop up one side of the pan so the cake bakes
unevenly. Spread icing real thick to level it off.
24. Get up every night around midnight and have a peanut butter and
jelly sandwich on stale bread.
25. Set your alarm clock to go off at random during the night. At the
alarm, jump up and dress as fast as you can, making sure to button your
top shirt button and tuck your pants into your socks. Run out into the
back yard and uncoil the garden hose and put out a simulated fire.
26. Every week or so, throw your cat or dog into the pool and shout "Man
overboard, port side!" Rate your family members on how fast they
27. Put the headphones from your stereo on your head, but don't plug
them in. Hang a paper cup around your neck on a string. Stand in front
of the stove, and speak into the paper cup, "Stove manned and ready."
After an hour or so, speak into the cup again "Stove secured." Roll up
the headphones and paper cup and stow them in a shoe box.
28. Make your family turn out all the lights and go to bed at 10 p.m.
"Now taps, taps! Lights out! Maintain silence throughout the ship!"
Then immediately have an 18-wheeler crash into your house. (For aircraft
29. Build a fire in a trash can in your garage. Loudly announce to your
family, "This is a drill, this is a drill! Fire in hangar bay one!"
30. Place a podium at the end of your driveway. Have your family stand
in front of the podium for 4-hour intervals. Best done when the weather
is worst. January is a good time.
31. Next time there's a bad thunderstorm in your area, find the biggest
horse you can, put a two-inch mattress on his back, strap yourself to it
and turn him loose in a barn for six hours. Then get up and go to work.
32. For former engineers: bring your lawn mower into the living room,
and run it all day long.
33. Make coffee using eighteen scoops of budget priced coffee grounds
per pot, and let the pot simmer for 5 hours before drinking.
34. Have someone under the age of ten give you a haircut with sheep
35. Sew the back pockets of your jeans onto the front.
36. Add 1/3 cup of diesel fuel to the laundry.
37. Take hourly readings on your electric and water meters.
38. Every couple of weeks, dress up in your best clothes and go to the
scummiest part of town. Find the most run down, trashiest bar, and
drink beer until you are hammered. Then walk all the way home.
39. Lock yourself and your family in the house for six weeks. Tell them
that at the end of the 6th week you'll take them to Disney World for
liberty. At the end of the 6th week, inform them the trip to Disney
World has been canceled because they need to get ready for an
inspection, and it will be another week before they can leave the house.